Monday, November 9, 2009

External Hydrocephalus and Neurosurgery Appointment



This has been a long weekend for us. After receiving the CT scan report on Friday stating that Whitney had Hydrocephalus and not being able to talk to a doctor, we finally have some answers. What Whitney has is External Hydrocephalus which apparently is less alarming than the typical Hydrocephalus I had feared. This is an answered prayer. She has fluid on the outside of her brain between the brain and skull as opposed to inside the ventricles of the brain. From what I understand this type of Hydrocephalus typically does not require the placement of a shunt. However, most babies that develop EH acquire it within the first few months of life. Since Whit is apparently just developing it they aren't sure that hers will definitely not require surgery or draining. They did tell me that we will most likely need more tests/scans to compare over time and determine whether the fluid is decreasing or increasing. She has an appointment scheduled with a Neurosurgeon for December 2nd. She is on a list for cancellations, so it could be sooner. I still have so many questions, so I'm hoping it's sooner.

When I spoke with the nurse from Whit's Neurologist's office she said a few things that concerned me. She said that sometimes when the onset of these symptoms is later (which is the case with Whit), that it can often be related to "a deterioration of the brain or shrinking brain." That's definitely not something I wanted to hear. She said it can also be that her skull is growing much more rapidly than her brain so the fluid is filling in the spaces the brain is not. Again, that is not something I want to hear. However, we don't know certainly that either of these is the case. We will just continue to keep praying that by the time we see the Neurosurgeon in three weeks the problem will have already improved. Whitney has experienced many miracles, so it wouldn't be a first. God is really watching after her.

So, for now, we try to stop holding our breath. I have been catching myself handling her more carefully the last few days and being extra careful not to bounce her, etc. for fear that I would mess something up in her little head. I know that probably sounds crazy. We have all been giving her a little more attention and Daddy even gave her a pink and white polka-dot pedicure! (see below)

Whitney and I will be heading to Long Beach early Thursday morning with Gigi, Aunt Debi, and Uncle Don-Don to see Taylor. Taylor was nominated for Miss Greek at CSULB and we are taking Whit to see her first beauty pageant! The doctors have all said that flying in an airplane is fine which was my main concern because of the pressure changes, etc. We'll update soon. Thanks again for all the prayers. We will continue to need them.




1 comment:

carla's gateway said...

KNOW THIS my young mother friend... I am keeping up with you and your little lady! and I KNOW that your heart is heard over and over in the halls of HEAVEN and in the lives of all those who have your sweet face and that of Whit's before them whether in the physical presence or in the Spiritual....YOU ARE BEING HEARD and SEEN! RIGHT NOW I am asking for a peace in you and an assurance that is inexplicable in our human terms.... LORD ANSWER THIS ONE'S heart and be her providence for this special one YOU'VE placed in her's and Jason's arms....