

Whitney is 3 months old!!
She had her appointment with the Urologist at Cook's in FW. They did a very thorough ultrasound and a VCUG procedure. The findings weren't great. We were told that she has a pretty severe case of kidney reflux on the left side. He rated it a 4 on a scale of 1 to 5. She has been put on a daily antibiotic to help prevent kidney infections. As long as the antibiotic works to prevent infections, then she will just go back in a few months for a recheck to make sure it hasn't gotten worse. If she does, however, get an infection, then we will need to discuss the options for repairing the problem. We were told that they would need to either surgically repair it, which offers up to a 90% chance of resolving the problem, or they could try a catheter/ureter approach which has about an 80% chance of fixing it. We are hoping and praying that the antibiotic will do its job and we won't have to make that decision.
Whitney is smiling and cooing much more lately. She makes such great eye contact with us and she's immitating sounds that we make with the pitch/inflection of her coos! Her smiles are so pretty and she's such a delight. Her physical therapy is going well and her therapist is happy with her progress. She is gaining strength in her neck, but still not pushing up on her hands lying on her tummy. We are working on "ironing" her legs each day which will straighten them out. She keeps them drawn up like a newborn. Ironing them teaches her to relax and lengthen her legs. Don't worry, we don't use a real iron! We use our hands to apply light pressure and move from the hip to the foot 30 times on each leg once a day. She doesn't mind it.
We took a couple of pics of her at Cook's, but our computer had a virus and just now got fixed. I can't find the installation disc to connect the camera to the computer, so until I figure that issue out, I can't post those pics. We are also taking the kids to HSU this weekend to take some photos and I will hopefully have those up soon.
Check back for pics! :)

2 comments:
Michelle, I saw your blog from Terran's and read Whit's story. I just had a little boy who was also due June 12th! He arrived one day early, but he should have been at least a week early! He is our first and we went through hell to get him (IVF and I've had 3 surgeries). I'm glad to read Whitney is doing well, she is beautiful! We will pray for her health and for your family. I'm excited to watch her grow and blossom through this blog! Jennie (Porter) de la Garza
Michelle, I just found your blog and was just so touched my sweet Whitney's story! You have a beautiful family and are such a good momma! You definitely were meant to be Whitney's mommy and she is very lucky to have you. Your family is in our prayers.
Sarah
Post a Comment